Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  World News  >  Current Article

Congo officials investigating possible Ebola case — WHO

By   /  August 21, 2022  /  No Comments

    Print       Email

DAKAR — Health authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo are investigating a suspected case of Ebola in the country’s east, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Saturday.

A 46-year-old woman died on Monday in the city of Beni, one of the centers of an Ebola outbreak from 2018 to 2020 that killed nearly 2,300 people.

She was initially treated for other ailments but then developed symptoms consistent with Ebola, WHO said in a statement.

Congo’s dense tropical forests are a natural reservoir for the virus, which causes fever, body aches, and diarrhea.

The country has recorded 14 outbreaks since 1976. It declared an end last month to its latest outbreak, in northwestern Congo, which caused five deaths. — Reuters

    Print       Email
  • Published: 1 month ago on August 21, 2022
  • By:
  • Last Modified: August 21, 2022 @ 9:16 am
  • Filed Under: World News

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.